How To: The Basics Of Riflescopes
What are AR lens coatings, why are red dots parallax-free, and is a $2,000 scope really better than a $200 scope?
What are some things to know about riflescopes and other optics?
- The basic construction is a main body tube, objective bell, ocular bell and lenses.
- The reticle can be placed forward (first focal plane) or rearward (second focal plane).
- There are a variety of different lens coatings available that do different things.
- Scopes that cost more generally do for a good reason.
- There are three different types of non-magnified dot sights; know their differences.
Keep reading on GunDigest for a rundown of why some riflescopes and reflex optics work better — and cost more — than others.